For anyone who knows us, followed us on Facebook or Twitter, we’re a little bit fanatical about Nutella. Nikka was the one to introduce me to the creamy, chocolatey goodness of Nutella about three years and honestly, I’ve never looked back. See, it all started with Grilled Nutella and Banana sandwiches (which Nikka affectionately calls an “orgasm in your mouth”) and then morphed into a kind of obsession for us with who could find the best new recipe containing Nutella. I mean, really, what’s better than a freshly made crepe slathered with Nutella while you’re walking around Paris? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. More recently, one of our best friends just sent us a goodie package that contained Nutella Rice Krispy Treats. Three words: So. Damn. Good. (That said, nothing beats eating it with a spoon straight out of the jar on those days when the world seems to be conspiring against you.)
Since the beginning of our In The Kitchen Series, Nikka and I have tried to work a Nutella dish/recipe into our stories, beginning with Ethan introducing Jamie to the mouthgasm that is a Grilled Nutella/Banana sandwich, to Trevor ordering a Nutella panini during In The Distance, Book Three of the In The Kitchen Series. Both Nikka and I know there are some Nutella haters out there, but for everyone else, here’s the recipe for the Nutella paninis Trevor orders during his brunch with Chef Boulanger. Bon Appetit!
Hazelnut Chocolate Paninis
- 1 loaf Ciabatta or other rustic bread
- ½ cup of Nutella
- 2 Tbsp. Honey
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 bar bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Cut the ciabatta into 5- by 3-inch rectangles and split horizontally.
- Stir the Nutella, honey, salt, and cloves together and spread about 1 tablespoon onto each of 4 of the bread rectangles.
- Layer with the chocolate and top with remaining bread. Brush with butter and grill in a press until the chocolate melts.
- Cut into small triangles and sprinkle each with sea salt to serve.